Buying dinnerware is a big investment; not only can it be a pricy one, but one you will have to look at for breakfast, lunch and dinner, every day. And then of course, there’s trying to find a set that will last the every-day and still shine for those special occasions. Beautiful dinnerware can not only enhance your meals but will set the mood for your home-dining experiences yet to come. Understanding the differences between dinnerware styles, from classic sets for formal settings to elegant pieces for dinner parties, is the key to selecting a set that feels at home.
Confused about where to even start? Our friends at Simply Kitchen, the one-stop shop for all your kitchen needs and your go-to destination for tabletop accessories, provides some tips and tricks for choosing the perfect set.
Dinnerware Buying Checklist
- Consider the types of dinnerware materials: Before thinking about colours or patterns, focus your attention on what it is made from to start. If you are buying for everyday usage, then you will want something durable such as bone china, earthenware, porcelain, stoneware, or melamine. And as such, are the most common dinnerware materials.
- Get the right size: You may love the look of that elaborate set in the store, but you might not when your dining table starts to get crowded. Consider your actual table space if it was fully laid, and your storage restrictions before buying anything.
- White is classic: There’s a reason that hotels and diners use white dinnerware because you can’t go wrong – they’re classic, effortlessly beautiful, and versatile – the perfect blank canvas. They make a great base set, and you can always accent it with colourful bowls or mugs. As a bonus, you’re more likely to find replacements (or close enough) should the inevitable happen.
- Buy enough pieces to host a dinner party: There may only be one or two people in your household right now, but it’s wise to plan for bigger families, parties, and gatherings. You’ll be so glad you did!
Choosing the set is the start, but now you want to make sure that they last a lifetime. Perhaps even become heirloom pieces handed down through generations. Read on for fail-safe tips to increase the longevity of your dinnerware.
Caring For Your Dinnerware
- It sounds juvenile but trust us – make sure you read the instructions/ask the sales assistant how to care for your new set. Finding out dinnerware is handwash only after it’s too late can be devastating. Be sure to look out for ‘Dishwasher-safe’ or ‘easy care’ marks, usually stamped on the back of the dinnerware itself, but you can read the literature that comes with it to be sure.
- If hard water spots on dinnerware and glasses become an issue, soaking them in white vinegar for approximately three minutes before rinsing, then towel-drying, helps to get rid.
- When storing your dinnerwear, avoid stacking them. It might be ok for the more frequently used plates and bowls, but make sure to use a padded storage case or fabric dividers between the pieces to prevent chipping and general wear and tear to your fine china dinnerware.
- Next time you stock up on cleaning supplies, keep in mind to avoid any abrasive sponges or brushes as they can create excessive scratching when hand-washing your tableware.
It might sound like a lot to consider, but better to ensure both your eyes and your belly get a feast at your next meal. We hope you found these tips useful and we wish you happy shopping! If you’re not already following us on Instagram, you can keep up to date with our daily home life musings at @homeclubme. Tag us in your dinnerware wins and even your fails – we might have some more tips to elevate your Epicurious-ity.